Aqra t-talbiet bil-Malti: https://minatolu.com/2018/12/22/adz-climate-change-demands-mt/
- Acknowledge the impact of climate change on Malta.
The climate crisis, environmental destruction and the overuse and misuse of natural resources is threatening our wellbeing. The Government of Malta needs to acknowledge the impact of climate change on Malta by taking the necessary steps towards a sustainable future. Climate targets and legally-binding policy measures need to be introduced to mitigate climate change.
2. Implement the provisions of the Paris Agreement.
– reduce GHGs emissions by a minimum of 55% nationwide by 2030 – phase out natural gas energy by 2050 and transition towards industries poweredby renewable energy – curb temperature overshoot by evolving into a net-zero emissions economy – track progress towards such climate goals through a robust transparency and accountability system
3. Invest in alternative sustainable transport systems.
– devise educational campaigns promoting cycling, walking and using public transportation – construct cycling infrastructure and shared spaces for cyclists and pedestrians – achieve target of 50% of vehicles running on non-conventional fuels by 2030 – increase bus frequency and capacity – drastically increased subsidies on bicycle purchases, especially for students
4. Establish a green-energy grid. Invest in in energy-efficientbuildings.
– transition towards a green economy and renewable energy infrastructure, including solar power – introduce energy-saving power and technology in government institution buildings, as well as efficient insulation – ensure that all large-scale developments generate 100% of the energy needed
5. Assemble a climate change mitigation panel.
Its mission and responsibilities should include the following: – assess the adverse impacts, future risks and climate hazards; – develop coping mechanisms, adaptation planning strategies and implementation to mitigate such risks – provide a holistic framework for evaluating the links between climate change, human welfare, economic prosperity and environmental protection – develop climate-resilient development pathways for the infrastructure and energy industries – promote transparency by enhancing the consultative role and participation of major groups and relevant stakeholders – implement evidence-based decision-making at all levels – provide political guidance and recommendations for sustainable development
6. Enforce the PPP (Polluter-Pays-Principle).
– set a minimum carbon price to infrastructure and construction industries – introduce new tariffs on vehicle imports, depending on their GHG emissions
2 responses to “Our demands for the Government of Malta to tackle Climate Change – ADŻ”
[…] this post in English: https://minatolu.com/2018/12/22/adz-climate-change-demands-en/ […]
[…] Previous Post Our demands for the Government of Malta to tackle Climate Change – ADŻ […]